Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Generating Creative Energy

As you all already know I have a shop on etsy.com.  I've really enjoyed being a part of the Etsy community, I receive e-mails from them with tips on improving my shop, marketing, inspiration, and success stories.  Well today they held a symposium online with different guest speakers addressing many of those same topics.  So I attended, actually, I'm in the middle of attending (they are taking a break) and I just had to share!  The first topic was "Generating Creative Energy", the speaker was Noah Scalin.  He did a project in which he created a new skull every day for a year.  It became quite a big deal online, he got a huge following world wide and turned it into a book deal.  He showed some of his creations and they were really cool, so check him out if you have time.  At the end of his speech he had us do a little project, we had to choose a shape or object and create it ten times in about ten or fifteen minutes.  Being so close to Valentine's Day I chose a heart, I found it challenging because I'm a perfectionist, but the time constraint made it impossible for me to perfect each creation.  However, I'm pleased with the end result and enjoyed the exercise because it did get my creative juices flowing and reinforced the lesson that nothing's perfect, and that's okay. 

So here it is, Happy (early) Valentine's Day!

I really like this one, I made it by arranging tiny ruby beads.




My nod to Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman :)


These two obviously aren't perfect, but I was running out of time.
This one is similar to my Hammered Heart Necklace http://www.etsy.com/listing/66507866/hammered-heart-necklace 

This one is my least favorite, probably because it's the least creative:

And this one is my absolute favorite, I think I'm going to use it as a new design for a necklace!

I hope you enjoyed this little creative journey, if you have ten minutes and want to smile I suggest trying this exercise at home.  Don't think about it, just do it.  You'll be surprised with what you end up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment