Monday, January 10, 2011

Inspiration

I get inspiration from the raw materials used in jewelry making, combined with a particular need I personally have. I figure that if I'm in need of a certain piece of jewelry, then some of my customers are probably in need of something similar. The latest design I created was a long bohemian style necklace made with vintage turquoise my mother had given me.

As a kid I remember going through my mom's rather sparse jewelry box, she didn't have much, but she did have some beautiful turquoise bracelets and necklaces. The last time she visited me in Nashville she gave me a little baggie filled with irregularly shaped turquoise beads from an old necklace that had broken. At first I thought she wanted me to fix it for her, but she said I should just keep the turquoise and create something new with it. The beads were so beautiful that I immediately wanted to make something, but they were also special to me so it was really important that I make something spectacular. This expectation of making something brilliant paralyzed me, so I ended up sitting on the beads for several weeks, unable to commit to an idea that was "perfect" enough to warrant using them. Then one evening as I was getting ready to go out with friends, it hit me. I needed a long silver bohemian style necklace with a splash of bold color to complete my outfit, the turquoise was perfect!

In a matter of minutes I had the design all mapped out in my head. I was supposed to meet my friends in a half an hour so I had to work quickly, I mixed large and small turquoise beads with freshwater pearls and a silver hoop to create a beautiful pendant full of nature's treasures, I cut chain long enough to easily slip over my head, fashioned it into a completed necklace and was out the door!

I'm in love with this necklace and am so happy I was able to use my mom's precious turquoise in such a wonderful way. Time and again, I'm reminded that for a piece of jewelry to be beautiful, I have to start with great materials.

To purchase this Turquoise necklace or other pieces of jewelry I've created, please visit my website:


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Jodie! I am wearing my silver filgree earrings from your store right now!

    P.S. I love the purple jewelry boxes and the label makes it look so professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pieces are beautiful. I recommended your jewelry to my friend who is getting married. The pearl pieces are classic and lovely. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much ladies, you don't know how much your support means to me!

    ReplyDelete